India to play additional T20Is in support of Cyclone Ditwah victims

Monday, 5 January 2026 00:29 -     - {{hitsCtrl.values.hits}}

  • During tour of Sri Lanka in August

India has agreed to play two additional Twenty20 International matches during the Sri Lanka tour in August as part of an effort to support the welfare efforts of the people affected by the Ditwah cyclone.

Sri Lankan Cricket President Shammi Silva addressing a press conference at SLC headquarters yesterday said that the Indian team had agreed to play two T20 International matches in the last week of December, on 27 and 29, to support the victims of the ‘Ditwah’ cyclone but due to the commercial value being low at that time, it was decided to play it after the two Tests in August.

Silva said that the two T20Is were not part of the Future Tour Program (FTP) and thereby had to be played during a period where the matches would be of high value.

Sri Lanka are due to recommence their World Test Championship program for 2026 with a two-Test series in the Caribbean in June-July. It will be followed by India’s tour to Sri Lanka for two Tests in August which are also part of the WTC, and will include the two T20I matches.

Silva expressed his gratitude to the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) for agreeing to play the two additional T20I matches.

SLC had earlier decided to donate the profits accrued from the three-match T20I series against Pakistan in Dambulla starting next week to the ‘Rebuilding Sri Lanka’ program. 

COMMENTS