Wednesday Feb 18, 2026
Wednesday, 11 February 2026 00:04 - - {{hitsCtrl.values.hits}}

Cabinet Spokesman and Minister
Dr. Nalinda Jayatissa
The Government yesterday sought to rest concerns of collecting money in schools by assuring that it has not given any authorisation for such activities.
Responding to queries at the weekly post-Cabinet meeting media briefing, Cabinet Spokesman and Minister Dr. Nalinda Jayatissa affirmed under the NPP-led Government no legal provision has been granted for collecting money in schools.
He said stressing that the Government has allocated funds for school development activities through Provincial Councils and the Central Government.
Noting that collecting money in schools has long been a common practice to support various activities, with amounts previously calculated based on the number of students in each school, he said voluntary contributions from past pupils’ associations, parents, donors who support schools on a voluntary basis cannot be prevented.
“There are Principals who are keen on developing school infrastructure with such funding,” Dr. Jayatissa acknowledged.
The Cabinet Spokesman however asserted that if a student feels uncomfortable or pressurised due to requests for payments by certain groups or individuals, the Education Ministry has the authority to intervene in the student’s interest.
“So far, the Education Ministry has not received any such complaints,” he added.
Addressing a query on smart-boards, Dr. Jayatissa clarified that those are not compulsory for all schools. “The Education Ministry has informed that the new educational reforms can be implemented using existing school facilities. Most of these reforms are practical-based teaching methods, with a focus on hands-on learning and activities,” he explained.