Wednesday May 20, 2026
Wednesday, 20 May 2026 05:59 - - {{hitsCtrl.values.hits}}

Free Palestine Movement members protesting outside the Foreign Affairs Ministry demanding urgent action to release Sameera Mehboobdeen
The Foreign Affairs Ministrysaid yesterday it had initiated diplomatic efforts to secure consular access to Sri Lankan national Sameera Mehboobdeen, who was reportedly taken into custody after Israeli authorities intercepted the Gaza-bound Global Sumud Flotilla.
Deputy Foreign Minister Arun Hemachandra told Parliament that Sri Lanka’s embassy in Tel Aviv had formally requested access to Mehboobdeen to confirm her condition, ensure her safety and verify the legal and procedural basis of her detention.
“The Ministry of Foreign Affairs is closely following the situation surrounding Sameera Mehboobdeen, a Sri Lankan national who is reported to have been among the participants of the Gaza-bound flotilla,” Hemachandra said.
“According to the information available to us, the flotilla was intercepted by Israeli authorities, and several persons on board are reported to have been taken into custody.”
He said the Government was continuing to engage through diplomatic channels while seeking verified information directly from Israeli authorities rather than relying on media reports or unofficial sources.
“Our embassy in Tel Aviv has formally requested consular access to Sameera from the Israeli authorities. The purpose of this request is to confirm her present condition, ensure her safety, verify her wellbeing, and verify the legal and procedural process relating to her detention,” he said.
Hemachandra said the Government would continue to monitor developments closely but would avoid making premature conclusions regarding the interception itself.
“At this stage, the Government does not wish to make premature conclusions on all matters surrounding the interception of the flotilla. However, our position is very clear. Whatever the circumstances, the safety, welfare, legal rights and dignity of the Sri Lankan national concerned must be protected,” he said.
He added that the Government would continue engaging with the relevant authorities through Sri Lanka’s diplomatic mission in Israel and other official channels to ensure Mehboobdeen received consular protection and due process.
Meanwhile, activists from the Free Palestine Movement staged a protest outside the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Colombo demanding urgent Government intervention to secure Mehboobdeen’s release.
Protesters condemned the interception of the flotilla and called for assurances regarding her safety.
Mehboobdeen reportedly left Sri Lanka in April to join the Global Sumud Flotilla, an international activist mission involving participants from nearly 100 countries aimed at challenging the blockade on Gaza.
According to organisers, more than 50 vessels departed from Marmaris last week as part of the flotilla’s final approach towards Gaza.
Israeli naval forces reportedly began intercepting the flotilla on Monday, weeks after an earlier attempt involving a similar mission was disrupted and activists detained.