Saturday Feb 21, 2026
Saturday, 21 February 2026 00:36 - - {{hitsCtrl.values.hits}}
![]() |
| Opposition Leader Sajith Premadasa |
Opposition Leader Sajith Premadasa yesterday alleged in Parliament that eight recently imported coal consignments supplied to the Ceylon Electricity Board (CEB) were below required standards and called for an independent investigation into the procurement.
Opposition MP S.M. Marikkar, supporting the claim, told the House that the eight consignments had cost the CEB more than Rs. 8 billion. He described the matter as “daylight robbery,” urging authorities to disclose full details of the purchases.
Premadasa said the use of substandard coal could result in increased fuel consumption, higher operating costs and possible damage to power plant equipment.
He cautioned that any shortfall in electricity generation would necessitate additional imports or greater reliance on diesel-powered generation, which would further raise costs.
“The loss will have to be borne by the electricity consumer,” Premadasa said, warning that higher production costs could translate into increased electricity tariffs.
He also alleged that tender timelines had been extended and eligibility criteria for suppliers had been relaxed, and called on the Government to clarify whether the consignments complied with stipulated technical specifications.