- US Embassy contradicts claims by Experts’ Committee Chairman that up to $ 10 m given to last Govt. from MCC
- Gunaruwan, who chaired President-appointed committee, claims money had been granted in 2017, 2018
- US Embassy says funds for preparatory activities have been cancelled or indefinitely postponed due to Govt. indecision
- MCC gets ranked on top globally for transparency among bilateral donor agencies
The US Embassy in Colombo said yesterday that no Millennium Challenge Corporation Compact (MCC) grant monies were ever transferred to or spent by the Government under the current $480 million grant.
“Funds for preparatory activities have been cancelled or indefinitely postponed, pending the Government’s decision whether to proceed with the grant,” the US Embassy said on its official Twitter handle.
This is contradictory to the claim by the Chairman of the Expert’s Committee appointed by President Gotabaya Rajapaksa to review the proposed MCC Prof. Lalithasiri Gunaruwan that around $10 million had been granted to the Government in 2017 and 2018 and the money cannot be accounted for.
“Two stages of the MCC had been signed in 2017 and 2018. Although $7.4 million and $2.6 million had been granted under the two stages, no account details are to be found anywhere,” Prof. Gunaruwan claimed on Thursday when the Committee members met with the President to hand over their final report.
The US Embassy also referred to the MCC — a USG development agency – ranking as number one globally for transparency among bilateral donor agencies. “MCC’s strong performance reflects its commitment to data transparency, fair and competitive procurements and rigorous monitoring and evaluation of poverty reducing programs,” the Embassy said on Twitter.