The Colombo Chamber of Commerce in a statement has appealed for stringent measures especially from banking sector to curb the spread of new coronavirus (COVID-19) in the country.
Following is the statement.
The nation needs to safeguard the public, create awareness, avert panic and minimise the impact of this global virus from spreading in Sri Lanka in the larger interest of the country.
Colombo Chamber of Commerce which is highly concerned on the spread of COVID-19 wishes in the form of an appeal to safeguard and protect the nation from spread of this deadly virus.
Colombo Chamber of Commerce suggests the following steps to be implemented particularly in Banking Sector which has a greater economic impact and high possibility of exposure to this deadly virus spread.
This is an attempt by Colombo Chamber of Commerce to highlight the precarious circumstances as any spread in banks could lead to a collapse or disastrous curve which affects can multiply.
- Retail banking hours to be limited to 3 hours for public
- Documentary transactions should be mandatorily via online system to minimise exposure of customers and banking staff
- Banks should insist under CBSL direction to utilise online banking portals for transactions
- Banks should waive off registration charges for fresh registrations of ‘Online Banking’ to encourage new registrations and implement a mechanism to complete the registration process in minimum time period
- Banks should provide the necessary masks and sanitisers for the basic safety of staff and customers
- Banks should have temperature monitoring system at least in main branches where public dealing is heavy
- Adequate publicity and awareness should be given via media to create awareness for the new bank timing and benefits of online banking etc. among the public