Wednesday Feb 18, 2026
Monday, 17 March 2014 00:17 - - {{hitsCtrl.values.hits}}
There is the small matter of final-phobia, seemingly induced by pressure, but captain Dinesh Chandimal is not a man to back away from a challenge, even when he is outmatched. As the team prepares to leave for Bangladesh, he embraced the hopes that have been heaped high upon them, instead of downplaying Sri Lanka’s prospects.
“There’s a lot of expectation among the fans that we will win the tournament as well, and even within the team, there is a belief that we can win this,” Chandimal said.
“We played in Bangladesh for two and a half months, so we have some experience on how the wicket is behaving there and also when the dew factor comes into play. Most of the players in the World Twenty20 squad played in the Bangladesh tour, so that’s a big advantage.
“It’s a great opportunity, but we can’t take it for granted. We will have to put in a lot of effort, and take it from game to game - first working towards the semi-final. We have some things up our sleeve. We have a game plan for each team. Everyone is set for the short format, and we’re looking forward to that.” Sri Lanka have England, South Africa and New Zealand in their group, in addition to a yet-to-be-determined qualifier, and though Chandimal acknowledged the fickle nature of Twenty20 cricket, he felt his team were well-placed for the group stage.
“There’s a big advantage in our group, because out of the four teams, three aren’t very familiar with subcontinent conditions. But we don’t take any team lightly. In Twenty20, a match can turn in one or two overs. But we have plans for each team, and we’ll use that.”
Perhaps the most obvious chink in Sri Lanka’s game, has been Chandimal’s own Twenty20 form. He averages 13.36 in the format - worse in the past 12 months. Chief selector Sanath Jayasuriya suggested team management would back Chandimal to the hilt in the tournament, but Chandimal himself did not warm to the notion of moving to a preferred spot up the order to improve his output.
“I’ve been a little uncomfortable in the middle, but I’ve been practicing hard,” he said. “The question is not whether I can play better at No. 3, it’s what will be better for the team. If I can come in and perform, then I will bat in that position. But if there is someone better suited to that position, he will go in. We are looking at what the team needs to do and how the team can win. That’s how we’re approaching it.”
Chandimal did not speak of Sri Lanka’s recent history of botched finals, but Jayasuriya - who had been similarly upbeat about the team’s World Twenty20 chances - said Sri Lanka’s jinx had now been lifted.
“Since 2007 we have done well in ICC events, but unfortunately we faltered in the final. But I think during the Asia Cup we came out of that barrier. We won chasing 260. That gave us confidence. We put undue pressure on ourselves when we scores of 260 or so, but I think now the players are experienced enough to adapt to such situations. We didn’t win the finals, but the good thing is that we have reached those finals.”
Sri Lanka full-strength but contracts unsignedESPNCricinfo: Sri Lanka’s top team departed for the World Twenty20 in Bangladesh on Sunday morning, but the standoff over player contracts persisted, and will now likely only be resolved when the team returns. A board official had offered players an opportunity to sign when the team assembled at SLC’s Maitland Place offices at 4am on Sunday, but the players had refused. The players had met late on Saturday to discuss their position, but although SLC had issued threats of sending a second-string team to the World T20 earlier in the day, the players maintained their opposition to a contract that does not feature a percentage cut of the payment SLC receives for the team’s participation in global tournaments. On Saturday night, SLC CEO Ashley de Silva indicated the board was content to defer contract negotiations. “If they don’t sign it before they leave, I suppose we will look at it again when they come back,” he said. SLC stands to gain most from its cricketers playing in the tournament unsigned. The board is no longer bound to pay the $ 500,000 flat fee, nor the two-tiered incentive payments it had offered as part of its revised offer, which was a partial sop to the players’ demand for 20% of the gross sum received by SLC for tournament participation. As had happened in 2012, when contracts were not signed until mid-July, the players may not even receive match fees or regular salaries as long as the contracts remain unsigned. These funds are likely to be retroactively credited when the contracts are agreed to, however. The players had softened their demands by the eve of their departure, asking for 12% of the tournament fee. The ICC is expected to pay SLC approximately $ 8.9 million for the World T20, meaning the figure the players had held out for, was about $ 1.07 million. The difference between the guaranteed flat fee the board offered and the percentage sought by the players’ amounts to about $ 570,000 for the tournament. But beyond those sums, the players’ objection to SLC’s proposal is largely driven by the belief they are due a percentage of the ICC payment, primarily as compensation for the use of their images in promotional material for global tournaments. Sri Lanka’s players had received a cut of the ICC event fee from 2003 to 2012, until the board struck that payment from player contracts last year. The players’ grievances are also fuelled by the complaint that they are being penalised for the administrators’ misuse of finances. The board had run up debts of almost $ 70 million when they built two new stadia and renovated a third for the 2011 World Cup. Player payment has caused strife at the beginning of every 12-month contracts cycle since then. The present standoff is also believed to have caused conflict within the board. President Jayantha Dharmadasa had been sympathetic to the players’ concerns, but was outmuscled in the board room by an opposing faction. |