Dialog Inter-Club Rugby League 2017/2018: Kandy beat Army

Monday, 20 November 2017 00:35 -     - {{hitsCtrl.values.hits}}

Kandy SC 58 points

Army SC 13 points

Kandy skipper Gayan Weeraratne on the attack with support coming in from Jason Dissanayake


By Shamseer Jaleel 

Kandy Sports Club, playing their first home match this season, beat Army Sports Club 58 points (9 tries, 5 conversions, 1 penalty) to 13 points (1 try, 1 conversion, 2 penalties) at the Nittwela Rugby Stadium yesterday.

At halftime Kandy led 34-6.

Kandy dished out quality three-quarter rugby which the soldiers did not have an answer to. Whenever Army got the ball they opted to kick towards the swift Kandy three-quarter line. Army’s forwards played their hearts out but lacked support from their three-quarter line. 

On the other hand Kandy looked a yard faster and they were threatening with their lightning pace. Both Ranjan and Wilwara were in peak form, with both men scoring three tries apiece. Both looked in peak form, splitting the Army defence at will. Their swift breaks were a constant occurrence and whenever they touched the ball they looked certain to score a try. They got good support from workhorse Fazil Marija, Gayan Weeraratne, Buwanka Udangamuwa and Srinarth Sooriyabandara. In forward play, Sayuru Anthony and Yakoob Ali were mobile in attack as well as in defence.

Army drew first blood in the fourth minute when Kandy’s line was caught offside. Their fullback Gayan Salinda put the soldiers on the board through a penalty from 35 meters out. 

Five minutes later in a sweeping three-quarter move, lightning fast winger Anurudha Wilwara touched down for Kandy. Seven minutes later Ranjan blazed though for his first try of the evening. Fullback Thilina Wijesinghe put over the conversion. But Army reduced the deficit through a Gayan Salinda penalty. Wilwara’s second try, followed by Sooriyabandara’s try, gave Kandy a 24-6 lead. There was time for tries from Richard Dharmapala and Dhanushka Ranjan for the score at halftime to read 34-6 in favour of the upcountry club.

After the turnaround, Kandy manufactured a try blitz with Wilwara and Ranjan completing their hat-trick of tries. There was time for one Jason Dissanayake try and penalty by Nigel Ratwatte, who was also accurate with three try conversions. In the latter half Army skipper Thushith Senanayake blazed through for their only try, which was goaled by Salinda. The game was refereed by Priyantha Gunaratne. The Assistant Referees were Priya Suranga and Deepal Puniyawardena.

Kandy, the only unbeaten side in the league, will host Sri Lanka Air Force on 25 November in Nittawela.   


First win for Air Force

Sri Lanka Air Force scored their first win of the season when they beat Sri Lanka Police 15 points (2 tries, 1 conversion, 1 penalty) to 7 points (1 try, 1 conversion) in their match played in Ratmalana yesterday.

At halftime Air Force led 7-0.