Colombo Dockyard was the best repair option for China Harbour Engineering Co. Ltd. China owned trailer suction Dredger Jun Hai 2 (GRT 10,751) was due for her dry docking and survey repairs. This dredger Jun Hai 2 was deployed in the Colombo South port development project in Colombo.
Colombo Dockyard has been attracting major dredger operators globally such as Dredging International, Belgium, Van Ood Ship Management, Netherlands, Dredging Corporation of India, Dharti Dredging and Infrastructure Ltd. India for their repair requirements.
The proven past track record of Colombo Dockyard on handling similar or more complicated projects successfully helped the owners to place their confidence in Colombo for the repair requirements of the sophisticated trailing suction dredger repairs, as this was the first experience with the Colombo Dockyard for this client.
The owners have planned the lay-up repairs during monsoon period, where the dredging activity is slow and they can release the vessel for a major lay-up. During this call the owners were preparing the vessel for her first dry docking survey repair requirements. The work extensive scope package consisted of:
- Port and Stbd Rudder removal and renewal of Controllable Pitch Propeller Blades.
- Installation of new plate heat exchanger.
- Repairs of Port and Stbd Suction slide, suction bend, fork arm and Gimble ring.
- Inside hopper doublering by Hardox plates.
- Renewal of Port and Stbd Trailing pipes and hopper discharge pipes.
- Port and Stbd Kort Nozzle SS liner renewal.
- Dredger bottom door repairs including packing renewal.
- Hydraulically operated Butterfly valves modification in Center Keel son
- Overhauling hydraulic operated sluice valves in dredge system.
- Renewal of Port and Stbd Dredge suction sleeve and mouth ring.
- Modification of Jet nozzles in side hopper.
- Full blasting of hull and change of coating scheme.
The critical work scope was executed by the steel department on the Kort Nozzle liner renewal, the condition of the existing lining was in bad state. The bottom door repairs were carried out meticulously meeting the owner’s requirements. The owners were very happy with the workmanship, speed of repair and the professional approach taken by the yard to tackle the entire project successfully.
The repairs were carried out meeting the requirements of China Classification Society. The vessel went on back to her operational duties soon after completion of repair work. Taking this business relationship further the owners are looking at Colombo Dockyard as one of their preferred repair centres for the fleet operating in the region.
The project was coordinated by Jayanath Fernando –Ship Manager, ably supported by all the production department teams. Gandika waligamage – Steel Department, Ruchira Ranaweera - Engine Department, Reyal Sulaiman - Deck Department, Anurudhdha Weerasinghe - Hull Treatment, Ravindhu Rajapaksha – Electrical Department and Ruvan Gajanayake – Invoicing.
The owner’s representatives Liu Zxi and Mark overlooked the project during the repair call in Colombo.