Wednesday Feb 18, 2026
Tuesday, 13 January 2015 01:49 - - {{hitsCtrl.values.hits}}
“There was no attempt to cling to power through any coup,” Peiris insisted.
Peiris said that even the US Government had recognised that there had been a peaceful transition of power after President Rajapaksa’s defeat at the election.
President Maithripala Sirisena’s Government would launch an investigation into the alleged coup d’etat that was planned at Temple Trees while the results were being released, UNP MP Mangala Samaraweera told journalists at a press briefingon Sunday.
Samaraweera, who has succeeded Peiris as External Affairs Minister said a bloodless transition had been achieved on 9 January, because the police and military chiefs had refused to comply with orders from top officials in the regime.