Friday Feb 20, 2026
Wednesday, 3 December 2014 00:05 - - {{hitsCtrl.values.hits}}
“But I had already given my word to Maithripala Sirisena, after I heard he would be leading this battle. I am not up for purchase and I am not that valuable,” the former UNP Leader’s son told reporters.
Dissanayake explained that the Government was now in crisis mode after a string of defections and loss of support from coalition partners had caused an upset early into election season.
“Instead of running the campaign, the Government is focusing all its energy now on stopping the defections. Various mudalalis are engaged in the process of buying people over to prevent the exodus,” he added.
The former Minister refused to name the individuals offering cash bonanzas to retain MPs, but vowed to set up a commission to investigate the issue under a Sirisena presidency.
“It is not ethical to name these characters now. But when it is investigated, I will reveal the names,” he observed.
Dissanayake claimed that he was personally aware of mass irregularities in Chinese loans and investments in Sri Lanka.
“The cost of a kilometre of railroad is $ 2 million. The Government is paying $ 16.49 million per kilometre. Where is this money going?” he asked. Dissanayake was joined by Sirisena and Opposition Leader Ranil Wickremesinghe at the news conference, and both leaders welcomed him to the opposition campaign. “I know for a fact that Navin Dissanayake was a person who never got his rightful place in the current Government,” Sirisena said. (DB)