CCD to investigate Major

Tuesday, 25 September 2012 00:54 -     - {{hitsCtrl.values.hits}}

By Lakmal Sooriyagoda

Filing a further investigation report in Court, the Colombo Crimes Division (CCD) have stated that they have received information that the Army Major who was injured during a brawl at JAIC-Hilton in Colombo had provided security to a casino owner by misusing his official powers.

When the case came up before Colombo Fort Magistrate, the CCD alleged that investigations had revealed that the Army Major was not on official duty at the time of the incident that took place on 9 September.

“According to a statement given by a Commanding Officer of the Army, the Major had not gone there to fulfil a certain duty,” the CCD said. The CCD further charged that the facts in the first complaint and the affidavit given by the by the Army Major were contradictory and suitable legal action would be taken in this regard.

Finally the CCD informed Court that in complying with the Court order its detectives had begun investigations into the CCTV camera footage and a charge sheet would be filed against the Major.

Meanwhile, the Magistrate directed the police that the Court be informed on next hearing date whether they are going to file a charge sheet and extracts of investigations against the Army Major and if not, to give reasons. The Magistrate further instructed police that the Attorney General’s advice be taken if they need, prior to taking legal action against Army Major Chandana Pradeep Susena.  

Meanwhile, President’s Counsel Hemantha Warnakulasuriya appearing on behalf of the first suspect Malaka Silva moved Court that his client be permitted to leave the country from 5 October to 7 November since he was willing to enter an American University for his higher education. Warnakulasuriya expressed that his client Malaka has the ambition to become the Education Minister in the country after completing his education. At the same time counsel Niroshan Perera appearing for second suspect Rehan Wijeratne also made a similar application. Accordingly, the Magistrate granted permission for them to leave the country for a period of one month and ordered them to appear in Court on 26 November.

In an identification parade held before Magistrate Kanishka Wijeratne, one of the five suspects who had allegedly been involved in assaulting the Army Major was identified by the Major.

When the five suspects who were held in remand custody for allegedly assaulting the Army Major were produced before Court they were ordered to be released on a cash bail of Rs. 10,000 with a surety of Rs. 200,000. The five suspects who were released on bail are; Nalin Janaka, Nalage Don Nilu Aravinda, Vinod Pushpakumara, Sarath Upali and Pathirage Sathyajith. Further magisterial inquiry was postponed for 26 November.