All suspended undergraduates of J’pura Uni pardoned

Monday, 7 July 2014 01:03 -     - {{hitsCtrl.values.hits}}

All suspended undergraduates of Sri Jayewardenepura University have been unconditionally pardoned by the university administration and their studentships reinstated, the university management announced yesterday. Vice Chancellor of the University, Dr. N.L.A. Karunaratne, in a lengthy letter to the students, announced that the suspension and studentship cancellations imposed upon over 200 undergraduates have been unconditionally revoked effective 3 July. Following unruly action by the students, the university has imposed class prohibitions on 189 undergraduates, studentship cancellations of 40 students and lifetime cancellation of studentship on five students. The management has taken the decision to exonerate all the students without any conditions after considering the requests of the parents. The administration of the Sri Jayewardenepura University said they decided to provide relief for the students and their families. In his letter to the students, the Vice Chancellor explained that the university spends Rs. 400,000 of public money for one student in a year and it costs about Rs. 10 million a day to maintain the university. He said that 99.5% of students realise the public’s sacrifice and engage in their studies but the remaining 0.5%, swayed by the student unions and other elements, waste public money and destroy university education. The students meanwhile have said that a sathyagraha campaign, launched by the students and which entered its 59th day yesterday to protest disciplinary action by the University, will be called off.