Reuters: Two GP2 Asia series races at the Bahrain circuit which will host next month’s Formula One season opener were called off on Thursday due to bloodshed in the capital Manama.
"Following the current events in Bahrain, at the request of the Bahrain Motorsport Federation, it has been decided that the remainder of the meetings which was supposed to take place at the Bahrain International Circuit is called off," organisers said in a statement.
At least three people were killed overnight after Bahraini police stormed a protest camp in a central Manama square. Thousands of overwhelmingly Shi’ite protesters have taken to Bahrain’s streets this week demanding more say in the Gulf Arab kingdom where a Sunni Muslim family rules over a majority Shi’ite population.
Two people died in demonstrations and clashes in Manama earlier in the week. GP2 Asia is a regional single-seater championship similar to the main GP2 series that serves as a feeder to Formula One. The first race of the Bahrain event was scheduled for Friday with another on Saturday. The opening race of the F1 season is scheduled for Bahrain on March 13, with testing due there in the previous week.
Earlier organisers cancelled Thursday’s scheduled practice for safety reasons.
"Due to the current local events, the medical staff normally stationed at the circuit has been temporarily called to the city’s hospitals in case of an emergency," they said.