Monday Feb 16, 2026
Friday, 9 January 2015 04:09 - - {{hitsCtrl.values.hits}}
"There were no serious incidents. No violence. So we will not hold a re-poll at any polling division," Polls Chief Mahinda Deshapriya told reporters after polls closed last evening.
"In spite of major concerns raised about troops preventing people from voting, I am happy to note that no such incidents were reported today," the Elections Commissioner said.
Deshapriya reported that there had been three grenade explosions in Jaffna and Vavuniya. Police Spokesman SSP Ajith Rohana said no injuries or damages were reported in the incidents close to three polling stations in Alwayi, Point Pedro and Nelumkulama, Vavuniya.
In a bid to instil faith in the electoral process, the Commissioner charged that claims about ballot boxes being exchanged with fake boxes were completely false. "That is a blatant lie and we urge the people not to be misled. There is provision to do this," Deshapriya said.
The explosion in Point Pedro took place about 800 metres away from the Alwayi polling station. The second explosion later in the evening took place at Kalemaigar Vidyalaya in Nelumkulama when a grenade was thrown into the school grounds.
A third grenade exploded near Tamil Vidyalaya, Vavuniya.