Saturday, 29 November 2014 00:00
Held at University of Colombo by Field Ornithology Group; to provide guidance to public on birds and bird watching
The Field Ornithology Group of Sri Lanka (FOGSL) will host its annual Bird Educational Exhibition from 3 to 7 December at the University of Colombo with aim of providing guidance to public on birds and bird watching.
The exhibition, named after prominent naturalist late P.B. Karunaratne, will have many exhibits and information panels on birds. Several workshops will also be held on different subjects from 4-6 p.m. during each of the exhibition days. A field visit to Thalangama tank on 7 December morning and an evening birding session at Wetland Park at Nawala too will be held, especially for those who are new to birding.
‘Kids’ Corner’ – a special program for children – will also be conducted during the exhibition. The children who complete the bird quiz will receive gifts. Exhibits prepared by the junior section of FOGSL will also among the exhibits.
In parallel, the bird photography exhibition ‘Birding with the 3rd Eye’ will also be held. This photography exhibition will showcase the winning entries of the islandwide bird photography competition organised by FOGSL. About 150 photos selected from over 400 entries submitted by nearly 100 photographers including some of the experts in the field will be showcased in ‘Birding with the 3rd Eye’.
These bird exhibitions will be held in line with the 70th Annual Scientific Sessions of the Sri Lanka Association for the Advancement of Science (SLAAS) that will be held at University of Colombo. SLAAS will also have an exhibition of young inventors at department of physics and several public lectures.
These exhibitions and workshops will be open for all and the entrance is free – no prior knowledge on birds is required. Please contact FOGSL office on 2501332 or 0718440144 for more information.
Line-up of other activities
1. ‘What is a Bird?’ by Prof. Devaka Weerakoon – 4 December 4-5 p.m.
2. ‘Kurulu Lowata Kawulu Dorak’ by Aruna Padmaperuma – 4 December 5-6 p.m.
3. ‘Bird Identification Techniques’ by Dr. Sampath Seneviratne – 5 December4-5 p.m.
4. ‘Endemic Birds of Sri Lanka’ by Hasitha Perera – 5 December 5-6 p.m.
5. ‘Dry Zone Birds of Sri Lanka’ by Dr. Sriyani Wickramasinghe – 6 December 4-5 p.m.
6. ‘Birds and Photography’ – Rahula Perera – 6 December 5-6 p.m.
7. Birding at Thalangama on 7 December early morning 6:30-9:30 a.m. and birding at Wetland Park, Nawala. To enrol, please contact 0718440144.