The Southern Province Best Entrepreneur Award Ceremony was held on 11 December at the Grand Navro Hotel in Matara. The event was organised by the National Enterprise Development Authority (NEDA), in collaboration with the Hambantota District Chamber of Commerce (HDCC), and supported by the Chambers of Commerce in Galle and Matara.
The awards were designed to encourage the business community in the Southern province to improve their standards of business practices and achieve higher levels of entrepreneurship. NEDA selected HDCC to manage the evaluation process of award winners and organise the ceremony.
The Chief Guest of the ceremony was Chairman National Enterprise Development Authority
Dhakshitha Bogollagama, with Special Guests Central Bank Southern Province Regional Office Matara Manager Migara Handunge, University of Ruhuna Faculty of Finance and Management Dean Dr. Thusitha Gunawardana, World University Service of Canada Country Director Deepthi Lamahewa, and the Presidents of Galle, Matara and Hambantota Districts’ Chambers of Commerce.
Representatives from Government, NGOs and private Companies participated in the event. Winners were selected after a panel of judges evaluated entrepreneur’s submissions, conducted interviews and attended field visits. The competition provided awards for three sector categories under four size categories. There were six special awards.
The following awards were presented at the ceremony:
Southern Province Enterprise Excellence Award
D.A.T. Athukorala - Chairman / Managing Director, Athukorala Group Ltd., Pitigala
- Industry / Manufacturing Sector: D.A.T. Athukorala, Chairman / Managing Director, Athukorala Group Ltd., Pitigala
- Hospitality / Tourism / Services Sector: K.W.K. Rajika Priyangani, Proprietor, Hiru Fashion, Dikwella
- Agriculture / Fisheries / Livestock Sector: N.G. Manjula Nishantha, Managing Director, Malindu Dairies Ltd., Angunukolapalassa
- Industry / Manufacturing Sector: Manori Jayathilaka, Chairperson, Green Herbal Products Ltd., Galle
- Hospitality / Tourism / Services Sector: Hemantha K. Vidanagamage, Managing Director, Heladiwa Group, Akuressa
- Agriculture / Fisheries / Livestock Sector: W. Gunasena, Proprietor, Isuru Farm, Ambalantota
- Industry / Manufacturing Sector: E.G. Sunil, Proprietor, Sunil Furniture, Matara
- Hospitality / Tourism / Services Sector: E.P. Hasitha Prasad Sirivikum, Proprietor, Vikum Creation, Ranna
- Agriculture / Fisheries / Livestock Sector: Manju Susara Senerath Pathirana, Proprietor, Pathirana Fish Farm, Walasmulla
- Industry / Manufacturing Sector: M.M. SubadraSanjeewani, Proprietor, Chathurya Shoe Mart, Akuressa
- Hospitality / Tourism / Services Sector: K.D. PasanPriyadarshana, Proprietor, Pasan Motors, Ahangama
- Agriculture / Fisheries / Livestock Sector: R.M. DarshaJayasinghe, Proprietor, Mihiru Flower Nursery, Akuressa
- Best Environmental Friendly Enterprise: Sudesh Dillimuni, Proprietor, Minpura Aqua & Fish Farm, Kamburupitiya
- Best Exporter: D.A.T. Athukorala, Chairman / Managing Director, Athukorala Group Ltd., Pitigala.
- Best Productive Enterprise: Sahan Withanage, Proprietor, Sahan Enterprises, Akuressa
- Best Innovative Enterprise: Ravindra Ramavickrama, Managing Director, Bats Lanka Ltd., Matara
- Best Value Added Enterprise: P.G. Niluka Damayanthi, Proprietor, Nimal Stores, Akuressa
- Best Energy Efficiency Enterprise: Upali Sudusinghe, Managing Director, The Rain Tree Hotel, Tissamaharama