The eighth seminar for the Ratnapura District entrepreneurs on the national program of developing 2,000 new exporters was held on 7 June at the Kethumathi Hotel, Ratnapura.
The first seminar was held on 23 March 2017 launching the program for Northern Province entrepreneurs in Jaffna and the second phase of the seminar was held in Kandy for the Central Province entrepreneurs. The third phase was held for the Southern Province entrepreneurs in Matara. The fourth phase was held for the North Western Province entrepreneurs in Kurunegala. The fifth seminar was held for the Sabaragamuwa Province entrepreneurs in Kegalle. The sixth seminar was held for the North Central Province entrepreneurs in Anuradhapura and seventh seminar was held for the Vavuniya, Mullaitivu and Mannar District entrepreneurs in Vavuniya.
The EDB is implementing a national program to nurture 2,000 new entrepreneurs to become exporters during the period 2017-2022 at regional level. The main objective of this program is to encourage domestic enterprises to invest in export industries to achieve the overall export target of $ 28 billion in 2022.
The program includes an awareness program for entrepreneurs, a technological display of technology used in the export industry for the benefit of entrepreneurs to educate about the export sector, a Forum to resolve the Exporters issues.
The Mini Exhibition on technology is with the participation of stakeholder organisations relevant for the export sector representing Sri Lanka Standards Institution, Industrial Technology Institute, Department of Export Agriculture, National Gem and Jewellery Authority, Rubber Research Institute of Sri Lanka, Sri Lanka Tea Board, Gem and Jewellery Research and Training Institute.
The seminar will focus on introducing export business opportunities for development of products suitable for the province including gem and jewellery, spice products, processed foods and ornamental fish and wellness tourism with a view to increase export supplies from the province of those potential products and services.
Sabaragamuwa Province Governor Dhamma Dissanayake, Minister of Development Strategies and International Trade Malik Samarawickrema, Minister of Justice and Prison Reforms Thalatha Atukorale, Deputy Minister of Skills Development and Vocational Training Karunarathna Paranawithana, Deputy Minister of Development Strategies and International Trade Nalin Bandara Jayamaha, Ministry of Development Strategies and International Trade Secretary S.T. Kodikara, District Secretary of Ratnapura Malani Lokupothagama, Export Development Board Chairperson and Chief Executive Indira Malwatte and officials of government and private sector graced this occasion.
EDB will provide the following services for the registered entrepreneurs under the 2000 New Exporter Development Program:
- Grouping of entrepreneurs product sector wise
- Conducting interviews with the registered entrepreneurs for need analysis
- Developing export oriented business plans for each selected company
- Facilitating the setting up infrastructure facilities (lands/industrial estate, etc. where necessary)
- Facilitating bank financing (if required)
- Facilitating technology transfer/sourcing of machinery/training, etc.
- Facilitating product development
- Facilitating market development activities – trade promotion events, b2b meetings and inward buying missions, etc.
- Providing services of an EDB ‘Account Manager’ for facilitation, inputs, coordination and solving issues related to above activities
- Engaging in follow up and monitoring