Home / IT / Telecom / Tech/ Huawei breaks price ceiling with $ 2,600 folding 5G smartphone

Huawei breaks price ceiling with $ 2,600 folding 5G smartphone


Comments / {{hitsCtrl.values.hits}} Views / Tuesday, 26 February 2019 00:13

Facebook

Huawei Consumer Business Group CEO Richard Yu presents the new Mate X smartphone, ahead of the Mobile World Congress (MWC 19) in Barcelona, Spain, 24 February – Reuters

BARCELONA, Spain (Reuters): Huawei Technologies unveiled a $ 2,600 folding smartphone on Sunday which it said was primed for next generation 5G mobile connections, even as the United States campaigns to bar the Chinese company from such networks over security concerns.

Huawei, the world’s second-largest smartphone vendor after Samsung, said it had taken the lead on developing phones for 5G – which promise super-fast internet speeds for consumers and businesses - because it was also involved in developing the networks.

“This phone is not only for today for 5G but also for future 5G. On all the benchmarks you can see the performance, the speed is the fastest for 5G in the world,” said Richard Yu, head of Huawei’s consumer business group.

Speaking ahead of the mobile industry’s biggest global event, which kicks off on Monday in Barcelona, Yu said the Huawei Mate X will have two back-to-back screens which unfold to become an eight-inch tablet display.

Yu said the Mate X would be able to download a 1 gigabyte movie in three seconds but also be priced at 2,299 euros ($2,607) when it goes on sale later this year, setting a new upper limit for consumer smartphones.

Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd. last week unveiled its own folding smartphone, priced at nearly $2,000, in a bid to top the technology of Apple Inc. and Chinese rivals and reignite consumer interest amid slumping sales.

Huawei, which is also the world’s biggest producer of telecoms equipment, is under intense scrutiny in the West over US-led allegations of enabling Chinese state espionage, accusations which the company denies.

Huawei’s chairman said on Sunday recent comments by US President Donald Trump that the US needed to get ahead in mobile communications through competition rather than seeking to block technology was “clear and correct”. 

 


Share This Article

Facebook Twitter


DISCLAIMER:

1. All comments will be moderated by the Daily FT Web Editor.

2. Comments that are abusive, obscene, incendiary, defamatory or irrelevant will not be published.

3. We may remove hyperlinks within comments.

4. Kindly use a genuine email ID and provide your name.

5. Spamming the comments section under different user names may result in being blacklisted.

COMMENTS

Today's Columnists

Let sanity prevail

Saturday, 18 May 2019

To those of our generation it will appear that Sri Lanka is in a near permanent state of conflict; now hidden, now open, citizen against citizen, brother against brother. There are interruptions to the theme of violence, these breaks are mistaken for


The crisis and constitutional violations

Friday, 17 May 2019

Sri Lanka was in a deep and complex crisis even before the outbreak of the Easter Sunday attacks. Now, in the wake of the Easter Sunday attacks, the country has plunged into a deeper and bigger crisis, which is more complex than it was before. The ec


Who are we?

Friday, 17 May 2019

Faced with a tragedy of the scale we have just witnessed, I don’t believe it’s enough to ask how it happened, or what happens next. We must ask a much more fundamental question, which is, who are we? The easy answer is to say we are Sri Lankans,


Mangala’s mistake

Friday, 17 May 2019

The script of ‘Mangala’s mistake’ is simple and straightforward. It begins with a pervasive silence of our collective complicity with an untruth. Mangala decides to pierce the conspiracy of silence with the obvious truth. It is a grave mistake


Columnists More