Home / Front Page/ NITF procures reinsurance cover for agriculture insurance

NITF procures reinsurance cover for agriculture insurance


Comments / {{hitsCtrl.values.hits}} Views / Friday, 17 February 2017 00:00

Facebook

 

  • Hannover Re and Swiss Re take 90% share

 

State-owned National Insurance Trust Fund has just concluded the procurement of a reinsurance program for its agricultural insurance schemes. 

Two global giants, Hannover Re (50%) and Swiss Re (40%), have together accepted a 90% share of the program, with three other global reinsurers sharing the balance 10%. The placement was made through J.B. Boda & Co (S) Ltd., a leading reinsurance broker, selected after a competitive procurement process.

This reinsurance program will provide support to agricultural insurance schemes funded by NITF including the recently launched National Agricultural Loan Protection Scheme. The cover has been arranged on a stop loss basis which is typically the method adopted to obtain reinsurance for agricultural insurance.

NITF Chairman Manjula de Silva commented: “NITF is delighted to welcome Hannover Re and Swiss Re to its network of reinsurers which already includes the likes of Munich Re and Allianz SE.” 

NITF CEO Sanath de Silva added: “Having the backing of strong reinsurers will supplement the financial strength and stability of NITF to withstand external shocks we have to deal with due to volatile climatic conditions.”

NITF is rated AA-(lka) by Fitch Rating and is the fourth largest contributor to the Government Treasury among State-Owned Enterprises.


Share This Article

Facebook Twitter


DISCLAIMER:

1. All comments will be moderated by the Daily FT Web Editor.

2. Comments that are abusive, obscene, incendiary, defamatory or irrelevant will not be published.

3. We may remove hyperlinks within comments.

4. Kindly use a genuine email ID and provide your name.

5. Spamming the comments section under different user names may result in being blacklisted.

COMMENTS

Today's Columnists

Whither Sri Lanka?

Wednesday, 19 June 2019

On Easter Sunday, 21 April 2019, suicide bombers from an extremist group caused carnage in six separate locations in Sri Lanka. Over 250 lives were lost and as many injured. The magnitude and co-ordination of their operation indicate several months o


Our Cricket Board simply cannot deliver – why not they all quit honourably?

Tuesday, 18 June 2019

“It is necessary, therefore, for the Government to pay serious attention to the doings of Sri Lanka Cricket [board] and take immediate action to lift their game for the progress of our glorious game.” Question for Sri Lanka Cricket (board) Sri La


Yesterday Tamils, today Muslims and tomorrow who?

Tuesday, 18 June 2019

From the time of S.W.R.D. Bandaranaike’s election victory in 1956, one and only one issue had dominated political party campaigns in this country; and that was communalism. The Tamil community was the main focus of these campaigns for over 50 years


Those who go by social proof are easy prey to crafty schemers

Monday, 17 June 2019

Going after social proof Swiss writer and novelist, Rolf Dobelli, in one of the essays in his 2013 book ‘The Art of Thinking Clearly’, has given a fine warning to his readers. He has warned against going by ‘social proof’ or ‘majority view


Columnists More