Home / Environment/ Unilever bags Gold at Presidential Environment Awards 2018

Unilever bags Gold at Presidential Environment Awards 2018


Comments / {{hitsCtrl.values.hits}} Views / Friday, 16 November 2018 00:00

Facebook

Unilever Ceytea team with the award

 

Unilever Sri Lanka’s Ceytea Factory was recognised for its contribution towards environmental conservation with a Gold Trophy in the Food and Beverages Industries category at the Presidential Environment Awards 2018. 

Located in Agarapathana, the Ceytea Factory is globally the largest supplier of iced tea to the Unilever business. It is a strong proponent of the Unilever Sustainable Living Plan which sets out to decouple the company’s growth from its environmental footprint, while increasing its positive social impact.

Embedding sustainability into its day to day supply chain operations, the factory has managed to minimise its impact on the environment over the past 10 years. Bringing its energy and water consumption levels down by 46% and 55% respectively during this period, Ceytea has also cut down on its CO2 emissions by 82%. It has also begun an innovative waste management program in 2018 under which about 70% of the waste generated through the manufacturing process is being used as fuel for its bio-mass boiler and the remaining 30% is being sent to manufacture fertilisers for tea gardens.

Furthermore, the Ceytea team works closely with the Nuwaraeliya Pradeshiya Sabha, the Agarapathana and Dayagama Police and members of the local community on promoting sustainable waste disposal in the neighbouring towns of Dayagama, Agarapathana, Gleinline, Holbrook and Nagasena. The Arunella Waste Management project spearheaded by the factory has achieved the complete elimination of waste being dumped in and around the Kothmala Oya, allowing 20,000 people in the area to begin using the river water again.

Commenting on this, Unilever Sri Lanka Chairman Carl Crus said, “We are honoured to receive a Gold at the Presidential Environment Awards. As laid out in the Unilever Sustainable Living Plan, we seek to make sustainable living more commonplace. Championing this cause, our Ceytea Factory has had a positive impact on the local communities and ecosystem. We are delighted to see these efforts being recognised at this prestigious forum.”

Organised by the Central Environmental Authority (CEA), the Presidential Environment Awards seek to reward the individuals, institutions, Organisations, Environmental Journalists and Industrial activities which have made unique contribution to the field of environmental conservation and protection. The forum’s main objective is to appreciate the enthusiasm of individuals and organisations towards environmental conservation and protection while sustaining their active involvement in the long run for clean and green production and services.

About Unilever: Unilever Sri Lanka is one of the largest FMCG companies in Sri Lanka, with 29 market leading brands in categories such as Home Care, Personal Care and Foods. Established in Sri Lanka in 1938 with brands such as Sunlight, Lux and Pears. Unilever’s corporate purpose is to make sustainable living commonplace, and the Unilever Sustainable Living Plan sets out to decouple the company’s growth from environmental impact, while increasing its positive social impact. The Plan has three big goals that by 2020 will help improve people’s health and well-being, reduce the company’s environmental footprint, and enhance livelihoods across its value chain. For more information about Unilever, please visit www.unilever.com.lk.

 


Share This Article

Facebook Twitter


DISCLAIMER:

1. All comments will be moderated by the Daily FT Web Editor.

2. Comments that are abusive, obscene, incendiary, defamatory or irrelevant will not be published.

3. We may remove hyperlinks within comments.

4. Kindly use a genuine email ID and provide your name.

5. Spamming the comments section under different user names may result in being blacklisted.

COMMENTS