Mangala says anti-Muslim campaign is ‘playing with fire’

Published : 12:01 am  February 15, 2013  |  2,603 views  |  16 comments  |  Print This Post   |  E-mail to friend
Share Button
  •  UNP MP charges Govt. is aiding extremist Buddhist organisations to incite violence between communities
  • Claims Buddhist extremists ‘Taliban’ forces and ‘representatives of hate’

By Dharisha Bastians
The main Opposition United National Party yesterday charged that the Government was tacitly sponsoring the anti-Muslim activities of a monk-led Buddhist extremist group operating in the country and warned the ruling regime was effectively ‘playing with fire’.

“The Muslim community is the latest target of a racist Government,” UNP Comm-unications Director and Parliamentarian Mangala Samaraweera told a news conference yesterday. It was the ruling regime’s latest ploy to win favour with Sinhala Buddhists in the face of mounting economic and international challenges precipitated by corrupt governance, he added.   Referring to an extremist Buddhist organisation, Samaraweera charged that its members were not representatives of the Buddha.
“These are the forces of hate and extremism,” he said.
Samaraweera said that their behaviour and rhetoric indicate that the monks leading the extremist groups belong to a ‘Taliban-style’ monastic order that does not follow the teachings of the Buddha.
The UNP MP alleged that the Bodu Bala Sena and affiliate organisations were being financed by a fund within the state machinery without being subject to Parliamentary oversight.
“As a political party, we are aware of the costs involved in setting up task forces and carrying out islandwide poster campaigns – where are these extremist groups getting their money?” Samaraweera queried.
The UNP MP added that the shadows of the defence establishment were also obvious by the inaction of the police in the face of anti-Muslim protests and even the recent attack on the Bangladeshi High Commission in Colombo.
He said the Government’s hidden hand in the anti-Muslim uprising was aimed at creating disharmony between communities. “They are attempting to push Muslims towards militancy to create a further distraction from the bankrupt governance by the ruling regime,” Samaraweera claimed.
Praising the Muslim community for acting with supreme restraint in the face of provocation by extremist Buddhist groups, Samaraweera warned that Buddhist extremists were fuelling Islamic extremists around the world. “The Government doesn’t realise the dangerous game it is playing,” the UNP MP said.
The anti-Muslim trend in the country would endanger the lives of Sri Lankans and its diplomatic missions all over the world, he claimed.
“The American Ambassador to Libya was killed because one man in the US made a movie,” Samaraweera charged.

Comments

16 Responses to “Mangala says anti-Muslim campaign is ‘playing with fire’”

1. Mangala says anti-Muslim campaign is ‘playing with fire’ | Muslim Forum for Coexistence, Sri Lanka on February 15th, 2013 6:47 am

[...] http://www.ft.lk/2013/02/15/mangala-says-anti-muslim-campaign-is-playing-with-fire/ Share this:TwitterFacebookEmail This entry was posted in Admin. Bookmark the permalink. ← Bodhubala Sena challenges Mangala [...]

2. Banda on February 15th, 2013 7:57 am

It is this man who is playing with fire. Mangala is well known for this conduct. He is there to create chaos in the country whether they are muslims or tamils or any other nationailty.

3. ranjith chandrasekera on February 15th, 2013 8:40 am

Mr Mangala Samaraweera, have you questioned how muslims took over a land by deception in heart of Kandy and built a mosque near the Kandy lake. Likewise, have you ever questioned why Sri Lankan Muslims are following Saudi religious culture in Sri Lanka.

Sri Lankan Muslims did not wear burkas about 20 years ago and you hardly saw muslim men wearing a long white dress, instead the older muslim men wore only a Red head gear and a sarong, that too was restricted only to those who had been on a pilgrimage to Mecca.

Did you ever question why all this transformation to Halal, Burkas, learn Arabic etc.

Anti Halal is not only in Sri Lanka, it is a Global issue. Because, other leading countries have now realised Islam is rising up behind the scene of Multi culturelism and religious tolerance.

4. Mohamed Zahran on February 15th, 2013 9:10 am

Ban organizations inciting communal violence

Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa in his address to the nation at the 65th Independence Day celebrations in Trincomalee said creating communal and religious disharmony in the country is similar to promoting terrorism and vowed not to let communal and religious differences to divide the country again. May I suggest as a pre-emptive measure that His Excellency proscribe those organizations which create unwanted communal issues and inimical for the maintenance of hard won peace in the country. He should never hesitate to do so even if there are any such organizations belonging to the minority communities in the larger interest of the country. In which case, nobody can point an accusing finger of bad governance by the present government. Moreover, it will prove to those doubting Thomases that the President is no doubt sincere in the statement he made on the Day of Independence.

Mohamed Zahran, Colombo 3

5. Lal.Fernando on February 15th, 2013 9:30 am

This is terrible.We as Sri Lankans should be living in a tolerant society.Halal certification is important to export products.I live in Australia and many products we export has Halal certification. Why should we worry about such a trivial thing? In Australia it is easier and viable to produce products according to Hallal certification because it goes to mainly muslim countries.I can not understand why this has become a big issue in Sri Lanka.
    Come on all Sri Lankan stick together and ignore this stupid argument about Hallal.

6. Antany Peter on February 15th, 2013 10:14 am

The Indians and the Westerners could not have done lot of damage to the country and to its people, if the Sinhalese knew how to respect and value their fellow countrymen. Late is better than never, I urge the Sinhalese people to respect and value their fellow citizens. The Tamils are belongs to Sri Lanka as much as the Sinhalese people. I have visited the country in April 2012, and experienced racism & discrimination at first hand, because I am a Tamil. I could not get local tickets at the Peradeniya Garden and Sigiriya, because I do not speak perfect Sinhala. However, I speak perfect Tamil; it did not mean anything to the people who work at the ticket counter. I wanted to stay in Sri Lanka for a while; therefore, I have approached the Dehiwala YMCA to rent a room. However, I was told to bring a recommendation letter. I told them that I left the country twenty two years ago, everyone I knew left the country or dead, and I do not know anyone in Colombo. But they did not bother about anything as soon as they saw my place of birth (Jaffna) on my passport.
    I can’t get a job in the Western countries. It is very obvious to me that the Western governments are preventing me from getting a job to stop me having a website, or publishing a book, to hide the West’s dirty democracy. The way they create ill stories to isolate me from others is really unbelievable and shocking. The Western intelligence members use my email account and mobile phone number to send dreadful emails and text messages to others, in order to make others think that I am not normal. This is how they make others to avoid me in order to hide the truth. The Western intelligence members also follow me wherever I go and spread lies about me, in order to keep me in isolation from others. They are not keeping me in a prison cell, but in an open air prison; so they can fool others by preaching democracy and human rights. Ask Julian Assange and Bradley Manning, they will tell you more about the West.
    My uncle and aunt paid for my flight ticket to be in Sri Lanka. Here I am I could not even buy a ticket as a Sri Lankan to see the Peradeniya Garden and Sigiriya. I have refused to pay as a foreigner and walked out of those places. I could not even get an accommodation at YMCA. I have applied for jobs, but I did not get any reply. Things will get ugly, if the Sinhalese carry on their foolishness as they did in the past. They have defeated foolish Prhabharan; it does not mean they can defeat the 82 million Tamils. Seriously, the Sinhalese and the Tamils have to grow up; I hope they would listen to their intellectuals and become smart & decent human beings.
    “From the teachings of Buddha, that came to us from India, to the struggle for freedom and preserving our democracy, India has been a great source of strength and inspiration to Sri Lanka,” – MP Namal Rajapaksa.
    The Rajapaksa dynasty, the UNP leaders, the TNA leaders and the Tamil Diaspora leaders should wear turbans and call themselves as wonder of the world. The Indian leaders are proud to have 627 million people who don’t have access to toilets. The Tamil and the Sinhalese leaders are proud to kill their own people. Do I have to mention anything about the Pakistanis? Surely, the whole Indian Subcontinent is the wonder of the world in its own right. The Indian Subcontinent leaders wear national dresses, but implement polices to cast out their own people to the foreign countries. The Diaspora’s children and their grandchildren speak foreign languages and wear foreign dresses. The Indian subcontinent would have been better off, if those leaders never born in the Indian Subcontinent.
    I don’t mind being an Asian, but I do look like an Indian Subcontinent fool; that is really bothers me. I have a business degree & diplomas, and worked as an accountant more than ten Years. I have done lot of research on world history and politics. My research is equal to two PhD’s. But do you appreciate or reward for my knowledge and skills? If I am a Westerner or Chinese they would have recognised my knowledge and skills long time ago. Unfortunately, I was born in Sri Lanka; among the fools who destroy their own intellectuals. The Indians think that they can rule Asia by holding onto the Westerners’ tail; that’s mean the Indians plan to keep the Asians under the Westerners for a long time. But I have a message for the Indians, it will never happen. The Indians can choose to have babies like rats to keep their people serving the Western masters in the name of democracy. However, if the Indians are threat to the Asia’s dominant then the smart Asians will break India into pieces.

7. Tuan on February 15th, 2013 11:49 am

Sri Lankan muslims are moderate and peace loving citizens.But sudden change of attitude by some extremist Buddhist group since the end of 3 decades of war is disturbing.

8. Tissa Withana on February 15th, 2013 12:35 pm

Mr. Mangala, you are trying to make anti-Muslim uprising. But your dirty politik will not work. In Sri lanka, we have intellligent Muslim.

9. Paul on February 15th, 2013 2:02 pm

Mangala , you are a sick Politician. You jump from party to party. You are the person who openly said that General Sarath Fonseka is not fit to command even the Salvation Army. Just shows your mental capabilities of thinking . You have just said the opposite of whats happening . I know your mentality is not straight . Just remember Sri Lankans are capable of playing with worse fires and just finished a 30 year old fire which you said that cannot be dowsed .

10. Munsir on February 15th, 2013 2:07 pm

What you saying are true. In addition, Pls understand this government do not want to handover a peaceful country to anyone to rule after them suppose they have to leave due to international pressure. All these anti-Muslim activity will disappear once international pressure are soften .if not, they will leave a country with communal violence like a one had when they took over.

11. Ashen on February 15th, 2013 2:24 pm

You and your hypothesis….have you got nothing to come up with…..you are very good at making scandals out of nothing…….it clearly show how politicaly bankrupt you are.

12. Yuga on February 15th, 2013 3:03 pm

Mangala is trying to create more problems. People should have right to express their views but peacefully. Peaeful demonstrations should be encouraged. Mangala gives a funny reason for his logic trying to point that muslim extremist might attack foreign missions. If that is the case that is a very good reason to protest and express our views against muslim extremist.

13. Gamini Lindagedera on February 15th, 2013 3:08 pm

Mangala is playing dirty politics yet again, as he had always done in his political carrier. It is none but people like you who incite racial mistrust to blame the result on the Government.

14. lankan on February 15th, 2013 3:15 pm

Please shut your Mouth Mangala, Muslims are for peace…

15. vj on February 15th, 2013 3:49 pm

Dear Sinhalease, Tamils and Muslim brothers please do not get caught in western trap it may be coming from Mideast but it originating from west so be careful. What mangala is doing is trying put a matchstick to start a fire. once afire is there west will be there to put out the fire and keep there foot forever like Iraq, Afghanistan, south Korea, Germany and Diego Garcia etc etc…….

16. mohammed on February 15th, 2013 5:36 pm

I agree with Mangal, he is 100% right. Look out for another unrest soon.

Feel free to leave a comment