Comments /1691 Views / Thursday, 23 February 2012 00:39
Reuters: A successful career strategy stands on the shoulders of a strong personal value proposition, which in turn stands on distinctive strengths, says Harvard Business Review.
The Management Tip of the Day offers quick, practical management tips and ideas from Harvard Business Review and HBR.org (http:\\www.hbr.org). Any opinions expressed are not endorsed by Reuters. “To get a job or a promotion, you need to know your strengths. If you can’t articulate them, you can’t expect your boss or potential employer to either.
Here’s a four-step process to identifying what makes you great:
1. List your strengths. Include skills and knowledge you’ve acquired through experience and education as well as softer intrinsic strengths, such as insightfulness or empathy.
2. Ask for input. Ask colleagues for honest feedback.
3. Revisit past feedback. Reread old performance reviews or think back on coaching from previous bosses.
4. Modify your list. Adjust your original list to reflect what you’ve learned. Make sure the strengths are specific so that they are credible and useful.”
- Today’s management tip was adapted from “Five Steps to Assess Your Strengths” by Bill Barnett.
27 May 2017
India’s new INR 16,210 million ($ 250.9 million) plan to enable Tamil Nadu fishermen to exit fishing in the Palk Bay in three years from this year could end its decades-long row with Sri Lanka over poaching in Sri Lan...
26 May 2017
By the time you read this, you would have perused many pieces, no doubt, on the precarious state of the nation of late. The painful memories of April-May – Meethotamulla pitfall and the proposed appointment of a military panjandrum to curb, ...
25 May 2017
Some may be wondering after Meethotamulla where all the Colombo waste is going. However, I do have a feeling that most had no idea whatsoever where things were disappearing into until the pictures of Meethotamul...
24 May 2017
Introduction Farming is better when it is done collectively. Collaboration might happen between farmers, traders and agricultural extension officers. The collaborations can be at different strength levels, for example in some farmer commun...
Addressing job readiness to fast-forward economic growth
India should either come up with a better plan for Sri Lanka or send a thank you note to China
Sri Lankan sex ring in Haiti reveals cracks in UN system
Religious violence in Sri Lanka: A new perspective on an old problem