Comments /1341 Views / Thursday, 23 February 2012 00:39
Reuters: A successful career strategy stands on the shoulders of a strong personal value proposition, which in turn stands on distinctive strengths, says Harvard Business Review.
The Management Tip of the Day offers quick, practical management tips and ideas from Harvard Business Review and HBR.org (http:\\www.hbr.org). Any opinions expressed are not endorsed by Reuters. “To get a job or a promotion, you need to know your strengths. If you can’t articulate them, you can’t expect your boss or potential employer to either.
Here’s a four-step process to identifying what makes you great:
1. List your strengths. Include skills and knowledge you’ve acquired through experience and education as well as softer intrinsic strengths, such as insightfulness or empathy.
2. Ask for input. Ask colleagues for honest feedback.
3. Revisit past feedback. Reread old performance reviews or think back on coaching from previous bosses.
4. Modify your list. Adjust your original list to reflect what you’ve learned. Make sure the strengths are specific so that they are credible and useful.”
- Today’s management tip was adapted from “Five Steps to Assess Your Strengths” by Bill Barnett.
29 August 2015
Mahinda Rajapaksa The Mahinda Movement hoped for, believed in and fought determinedly for a victory at the 17 August election, but beneath the rousing nationalist romanticism there was always a tougher-minded realisation that what...
28 August 2015
Now it looks as if the next two years at least will be a much more but still compromised benevolent oligarchy in which ‘national government’ means precious little in terms of accountability to the people ...
27 August 2015
Former President Mahinda Rajapaksa After a double whammy of electoral defeats this year, will spoiler-in-chief be the only role left for Mahinda Rajapaksa to play on the political stage? The small village of...
27 August 2015
For us Sri Lankans, many a destiny would have changed for better or worse on 17 August. That day most certainly has left an indelible mark on this year’s calendar and we may have not yet stopped discussing what happened or what did...